Zoom® Teeth Whitening in Calgary
A bright, white smile can dramatically improve your appearance and give you a boost in self-confidence.
If you have stained or discoloured teeth, a teeth whitening procedure may be just the thing for you.
At Sierra Dental, we offer the effective Zoom teeth whitening system to our patients.
To schedule an appointment with our Calgary dentists, book online or call us at (403) 297-9600.
Teeth Whitening Procedure
Due to professional oversight, teeth whitening procedures performed by a dentist are generally safer and more effective than at-home procedures.
At your initial consultation, one of our dentists will walk you through the steps and recommended preparations to ensure smooth and effective treatment.
We offer two methods for Zoom Whitening treatment at Sierra Dental:
- In-office Zoom Whitening treatment can give you a dazzling smile in about an hour.
- Zoom take-home kits with NiteWhite and DayWhite treatments provide results in about two weeks and can be easily retouched at home, any time you like.
How Does Zoom Teeth Whitening Work?
Zoom Teeth Whitening is a simple yet effective system utilizing a whitening gel that, with proper aftercare, can last for months, and even years.
At your treatment appointment, your dentist will place a gum guard in your mouth to protect your gums and lips from the whitening gel.
The whitening gel is applied to your teeth, and your teeth are then exposed to LED light for 15 minutes. This step is repeated another two to three times.
The LED light activates the gel, which whitens your teeth easily and painlessly.
Preparing for Your Treatment
Set Aside Time
Teeth whitening can take a long time, especially if your teeth are badly stained or discoloured. While the procedure itself usually only takes about an hour, you should also set aside extra time for preparation. You don’t want to hurry the teeth whitening procedure, so make sure you book your appointment at a time when you won’t be rushed.
Have Your Teeth Cleaned
It’s ideal to have your teeth professionally cleaned about a month before your teeth whitening procedure. This removes any tartar or plaque buildup, which will facilitate better whitening.
Sensitive Teeth? Take Painkillers
While most patients don’t find teeth whitening to be painful, those who suffer from sensitive teeth may feel more pain during the procedure. In this case, you may want to take a painkiller before the procedure in order to minimize pain from sensitivity.
The Benefits of Zoom Whitening
It’s the fastest and most noticeable way to freshen your look. Statistics from a survey conducted by the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry show that 99.7% of respondents felt that an attractive smile was a vital social asset to look their best, and three out of four felt a pleasing smile was important to one’s career.
Unlike off-the-shelf options that you can buy at a store, we create custom trays for your Zoom Whitening treatment. These trays take every contour of your teeth and gums into consideration, resulting in better application and protection than retail take-home options.
Brighter and Healthier Teeth
The Zoom Whitening process can brighten teeth up to 8 shades lighter and it’s also good for reducing gum and tooth sensitivity.
Causes and Prevention of Teeth Stains
Even the most fastidious of teeth cleaners may experience problems with teeth stains, but there are certain foods and activities you can avoid to prevent your teeth from staining:
- Coffee, wine, and tea are notorious for the aesthetic effects they have on teeth. These drinks leave lasting stains on teeth, which can impact their colour for several years. By avoiding these, or rinsing your mouth with water after consumption, you can protect the natural white colour of your teeth.
- Candy is also known to contain staining agents, as well as fruits like blueberries and strawberries.
- Smoking is known to severely stain your teeth, as well as cause other medical problems. By quitting, smokers can help protect their oral health and ensure their gums return to a normal position while limiting tooth staining.
Whitening Treatment After Care
Once you have those beautiful pearly whites, you won’t want to lose them. There are several actions you can take that will maximize the longevity of your treatment.
- Avoid Strongly-Colored Foods – Many foods that are rich in color will stain your teeth. Our best advice: if you think it will stain your white shirt, it will likely also stain your white teeth.
- Rinse Regularly – Get into the habit of rinsing your mouth and teeth after eating and drinking. It will only take a few seconds and can greatly increase the time your treatment will last.
- Brush Twice a Day – Regular brushing will help to keep your teeth as white as possible for as long as possible. Flossing is another important step in reducing staining. Consider using a whitening toothpaste.
- Whitening Trays – Talk to your dentist about whitening trays for you to use to extend the life of your Zoom whitening treatment. These trays are personalized to fit your mouth and teeth and are used with a small amount of whitening gel.
- Stop Smoking – Giving up cigarettes will give you added health benefits, as well as reduce staining on your teeth.
Contact Sierra Dental today to discuss your options for teeth whitening in Calgary.
Evening & Weekend Appointment
We understand that you are busy and don’t always have time to visit a dentist for a routine checkup in the middle of your Monday. That’s why we offer extended hours from 7:00 AM to 8:30 PM Monday through Thursday.
We are also open all throughout the weekend. That’s right, we’re open every day of the week.
Direct Billing To Insurance Plans
To support our clients, we offer direct billing, predeterminations of treatments, and financial arrangements to all our patients to ensure smooth and easy payment transactions.
Payment Plans & Financing Available
We understand that dental services can be an unexpected expense. That’s why we offer flexible payment plans and options to suit our patients’ needs. Speak with one of our dental assistants to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions
By following up your teeth whitening with proper dental hygiene, and being mindful of what you eat and drink, your Zoom whitening can last for 12 to 24 months. You may also want to add a whitening toothpaste to your regular dental hygiene schedule for an extra boost in whitening power.
If you are whitening too often or leaving the solution on for too long, you begin to compromise the health of your mouth. The best rule to follow is to not whiten at home unless you’re using a product approved by your dentist, and follow the directions.
When using whitening toothpaste you should always follow the instructions on the label. However, whitening toothpaste should typically be used twice a day, and you can expect results to appear in two to six weeks.
Whitening strips are an affordable and convenient way to whiten teeth, and people who use them often notice a difference. However, if overused, whitening strips can damage teeth and cause painful sensitivity. They are also far less effective than teeth whitening procedures performed by your dentist. Because the strip can’t reach into all the surfaces of your teeth, unlike a custom-fabricated whitening tray, you may see uneven colour.
The Zoom whitening treatment takes about 60 minutes and is performed in 15-minute phases. You will want to schedule a consultation before the treatment, as the dentist will need to examine your teeth and gums to make sure Zoom is right for you. It is also recommended to have a cleaning performed immediately prior to the treatment.
After your Zoom treatment, you should still take precautions to keep teeth their whitest. This means minimizing food and drink that will stain or discolour your teeth, such as coffee, red wine, sweets, and sugary drinks. You should also avoid smoking! Your dentist may give you an at-home whitening toothpaste in order to maintain the effects of the treatment.
Your teeth should be several shades lighter following treatment, and if properly cared for, the results should last for months after the big day. Some people experience sensitivity during and after the procedure. This can last up to a few days. For this reason, you should make sure that there is some time between your teeth whitening and your wedding day, as you don’t want to be in any discomfort at your wedding.